Flourless Orange Olive Oil Chocolate Cake
Posted by Kim Peeples on
📷 by: Butter Nut Bakery
This chocolate cake is baked with Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil to create a rich and citrusy flavor that will have everyone asking for seconds! It’s also naturally gluten free and dairy free.INGREDIENTS:
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, separated and room temperature
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a 9″ springform pan in nonstick spray. Place a sheet of parchment paper to cover the bottom plate and insert the ring to lock it in place.
- In a heat safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and olive oil. Place over a pot of simmering water, ensuring the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until melted, then remove from the pot. Alternatively, you can also microwave the chocolate and olive oil in a heat safe bowl in 30 second intervals (about 90 seconds total).
- Mix in the vanilla, then allow the chocolate to cool while you whip the egg whites.
- Separate the eggs and add the whites to a large bowl, either using a hand or stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip the egg whites on high speed for about 5 minutes. When they start to turn opaque, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of sugar with the mixer still running. Continue to whip until you reach stiff peaks (about 3 minutes).
- Now to the bowl of chocolate, mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and then the egg yolks one at a time.
- Use a rubber spatula and add two scoops of the whipped egg whites to the chocolate. Mix until it’s fully combined. This helps thin out the batter to make it easier to fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Dump in the rest of the egg whites and gently fold to combine. By the end you should be left with a light chocolate brown color with a light and creamy consistency.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread it even. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it’s evenly puffed up.
- Allow the cake to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. The cake will begin to deflate and crack as it cools to create a deliciously rich and fudgy texture with a crisp crust.
- Transfer the cake to the refrigerator and chill for about 2 hours, or until completely chilled. Release the cake from the pan and top with a dusting of cocoa powder or ice cream…or both! Enjoy!
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian